Marni CraigFormer Film Caterer, Retired - Designer, Renovator and Home builder
Marni's Story :
I am Marni Craig – a former film caterer and a designer, builder and renovator of homes who is now lucky enough to spend my time writing, making art, doing sports and travelling.
2. Who is your favorite author ?
This is a difficult question with its challenge to select only one author! Leonard Cohen? Mordechai Richler? Robertson Davies? Yann Martel? Frances Itani? … and on and on.
Anyone who’s writing is clever (eg. Using metaphors that make me read the twice}; who’s story line is seductive; who’s characters entice me; and who’s story takes me deep into some aspect of life I know little about.
3. What are your top 3 favorite novels ?
Lately, they have been:
1. The Gentleman from Moscow by Amor Towels
His characters and the relationships they shared were brilliant.
2. The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne
The story follows the life of an Irish gay man from the 50’s to the present. It is so very poignant – told with humor and despondency.
3. Cloud Street by Tim Winton
A superb family drama.
4. If your life was a novel which one would it be ?
Well, I guess it would be only natural for me to say the novel, ”Because We Could; A Femoir” –a novel I wrote about a 5-year period of my young adult life which also pretty much sums up my whole life.
5. If you could be any character in any novel, who would you be?
Apart from my own self, I would like to have been Jack Kerouac.
6. What Inspire’s you?
Pretty much anything in any art form that surprises me and pleases my eyes, ears, taste, smell, and/or touch.
8. What advice would you give to young women as a new decade begins?
Never say NO!